Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I Dream a Dream

Last night I dreamt that I was back at my old high school about to graduate. I had received a letter from them expressing that they'd like me to participate in their talent show to accompany the graduation ceremony and sing a song... a duet actually. Marissa popped into my brain. She and I could sing The Rose by Bette Midler.

Sunday night, I had heard this song on the radio on the way home from saying goodbye to her one last time. It was more perfect, and more in tune with my soul than any other song could be. I cried, and cried, and just let the tears flow.

In the dream I knew it would be difficult to sing in front of all of those people. Our voices would crack, and we were both crying just practicing it. I wanted to pick something else, I didn't want people to see me break down. It would be too hard.

Tonight watched the final minutes of Glee. One of the last songs was a duet. I Dreamed a Dream. It was one of Sarah's favorites. She had sung it several times, and there is a recording of her singing it with such vigor and strength even though she was near the end of her life. In that same recording, she read If I Could Live to be 100. I haven't heard it yet, but I know it will be something that will change the way I see this blog, and perhaps my own life for that matter.

This inspired me to think about duets. In acting class, our final is to perform a monologue. I chose Sarah's very own piece. I'd like AJ do the monologue with me. It's too long for one person, but if we share it and do it as a duet, we won't have to cut any of the meaningful words that Sarah lovingly left for us... her soul sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment