Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Way of Tea & How to Get a Koi Kiss

So here's my friend, the golden koi in the Japanese Friendship Garden in Balboa Park ~ through Sarah's fancy sunglasses. This isn't the first time I've blogged about this Garden. Last time, I was watching a Tea Ceremony... this year I'm learning how to do one, and I'm totally geeking out over it!

Yes my friends, I am taking a class on how to serve tea. It's actually called 'The Way of Tea'. There are 4 classes total each one is an hour. So far, we've learned how to fold a 'fukusa' or napkin (that only took a half hour and I still don't have it down). I can also bow, receive a cup of tea, and eat a sweet. Don't ask me how to make the tea... I just know there's whisking involved and somehow you use a very thin bamboo rod that looks like a miniature hokey stick in order to transfer your high-grade matcha green tea powder into a ceramic cup without spilling a gram.

Anywho... after the class I got to feed the fishies with a new friend and fellow tea geek. The way of feeding the koi isn't as ceremonial, but I'm sure you could come up with one. Place pellets in hand and close hand. Submerse in water. Let fish approach and suck it out of hand, slowly releasing the food. Fishy kisses :)

The garden is on its way to completing an expansion that will nearly triple area they currently occupy. More paths to meander, more rocks to ponder, and plenty of grafted cherry trees (because we don't have winters cool enough for their liking). So the trunks are actually apple, only the branches are the cherry part. That reminds me of a grafting experiment that my Grandpa did in his backyard. He put together a variety of branches and called it a fruit salad. I'm amazed it worked.

Domo arigato gazaimasu ~

No comments:

Post a Comment