Monday, June 7, 2010

A Walk Down Memory Lane

Tonight I'm cat sitting for a friend of mine: Cali, Joey, and Tommy. His place is close by to one of my favorite Indian restaurants, Bombay. Wonder if they're going to change the name to Mumbai? A tip - Order the bannana curry. It's phenominal! Oh and don't forget to splurge on some garlic naan.

Anywho... I decided just to walk there cause it's faster and parking is horrible on 6th Ave. anyways. On the way, I halted in my tracks. Literally just stopped in the middle of the sidewalk and stared at this one car. It was black Mercedes, a little worn paint, and had a very familiar dent on the passenger side of the hood.

It was my car! My old car!

I sold her last year, and I was just thinking about it this morning as I was driving down Pershing. I mimicked the way I used to shift gears and in that instant... I missed having a stick shift. There's something about the experience that makes you feel like you're REALLY DRIVING! I took a picture with my iPhone for I donno why...evidence?? Like yes, this really did happen.

It reminded me of one night when I was at Horton Plaza many years ago. I was buying clothes for a job interview... a job that I ended up getting ~ my first one out of college. In the Longs Drug Store (no I wasn't buying my clothes there, my boyfriend needed cough medicine or something) were people from an inventory company I used to work for. They were counting stock and punching in quantities on their 10-key. It took me back and yet I was in the present... ya know the twilight zone kinda?

Back to today ~ You know how you just want to reach out and tell the next person you see what just happened? Yeah you do! I chose the lovely Barista of Kona Coffee. She was great and asked if my old car saw my near car... would it be jealous? Well... I told her it was ok because they knew each other. My near car is actually my sister's and she lovingly passed it on to me when she moved to New York. The two have met several times. Her wheels are great: it has radio, the locks actually work, it's newer, sportier, and looks awesome.

All those things aside, it was so nice seeing the old gal, even if it was only for a moment. And the dude walking his dog behind me at the time had no idea... just that I was acting a bit strange for a pedestrian.

No comments:

Post a Comment