Thursday, January 20, 2011

What a week!

Anyone else having an interesting and amazing week? By interesting, I mean eye-opening. By amazing I mean synchronous. I've run into friends, met extraordinary people, and learned so much about myself and the Almighty. I have to laugh because perhaps some of you reading aren't so into God. That's ok... He's into you ;)

Starting from Friday, I met a woman named during meditation group. She was visiting from out of town and wasn't planning on sharing her story. After a little while, she spoke up and it was like the flood gates just opened. She told us about her daughter who died of breast cancer at age 38. I couldn't believe it! I thought perhaps I was meeting Sarah's mom, but then I remembered that she too had passed away from breast cancer a few years before. Our visitor was so adamant that we take just one thing away from meditation that night, and that is that we are not in control. We think we are, we try to be, but the truth is that we are not. She told us that surrendering was the best thing to do, and do it as early and often as you can.

As the week progressed, I ran into friends at nearly every turn. Another person from my meditation group and a couple who want to get into meditation. Meditation certainly how I learn how to surrender.

Today, I had a conversation with a gentleman who taught me about love and gratitude. A hopeless romantic, like myself, he had the most piercing blue eyes and hilariously wicked-loud laugh. I saw that he was journaling, and he confided that it took him 8 hours to write the single page. "I'm a much faster typer," he smiled. "But there's something about writing with pen and paper. It's more emotional."

He was hit by a car when he was 8, and is confined to a wheelchair with limited motor skills and delayed speech. He still has a zest for life and huge passion for adventure. Now 26 years old, he enjoys writing, reading classic poetry from the transcendentalist movement, and dreams of becoming and English teacher. He has published a book, The Obsolete Observances of the Way Things Are. When I came home, I immediately ordered it online. Something tells me his observances aren't so obsolete. Tonight, I shall end with a musing from this young author's favorite poet, Henry David Thoreau.

     Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant?

No comments:

Post a Comment